Virtopsy is actively involved in teaching and training. You will be learning directly from the pioneers.
Virtopsy Courses provide theoretical and practical knowledge of forensic imaging, notably post-mortem CT and MR, forensic anthropoloy, post-mortem angiography, surface scanning and 3D-photogrammetry, robot-guided biopsy, and clinical forensic imaging.
Structure and target audience
The CAS Forensic Imaging and Virtopsy is aimed at all persons who are professionally interested or actively involved in forensic radiology and imaging, including forensic pathologists/medical examiners, radiologists, coroners, radiographers/radiology technicians, surveying specialists and forensic anthropologists.
There is a Basic Course (2 days) and, immediately following, the Advanced Course (3 days) and a Practical Course (3,5 days).
- Entry-level practical skills are taught to read post-mortem CT cases in both Basic and Advanced courses (modules 1 and 2). With that, modules 1 and 2 may be interesting for a wider audience, for students and people interesting to learn about the potential of the Virtopsy methods.
- The Virtopsy Practical Course (module 3) is geared towards actual users of post-mortem CT scanning and teaches practical forensic CT reading and documentation, we also teach CT angiography using very affordable materials, and practical 3D surface photogrammetry using consumer cameras. The target audience for module 3 therefore will most likely be people that are responsible for actually reading cases and generating forensic imaging reports.
Starting from 2018, with the introduction of a CAS (Certificate of Advanced Studies) in Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy, we will offer the following four modules that build up towards the Certificate of Advanced Studies in Forensic Imaging and Virtopsy:
- Virtopsy Basic Course (CAS Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy module I – theory). The course attendants will receive a Certificate of Attendance once they provided full attendance of the lectures of this course. Maximally allowed participants are 24. A written assessment has to be passed. One ECTS point is awarded. We regularly apply for CME credits as well.
- Virtopsy Advanced Course (CAS Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy module II – theory) (module I is a requirement, this is only for those that did the Virtopsy Basic Course in the past). The course attendants will receive a Certificate of Attendance once they show previous attendance of module I, and once they provided full attendance of the lectures of this course. Maximally allowed participants are 24. A written assessment has to be passed. One ECTS point is awarded. We regularly apply for CME credits as well.
Since 2017, there is a new course module that complete the steps towards the CAS certificate: (details see here). They constitute the modules required to attain a CAS in Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy.
- Virtopsy Practical Course (CAS Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy module III) (module I and II are a requirement, this is only for those that did the Virtopsy Basic and Advanced Courses in the past); in addition to attendance of the course, assignments and tests need to be passed. The course attendants will receive a Certificate of Attendance once they provided full attendance of the lectures of this course and passed attendance and assessments; prior attendance of the previous modules is a must. Maximally allowed participants are 12. Four ECTS point is awarded. We will apply this course for CME credits as well. The course is on-site here at the Zurich Institute of Forensic Medicine.
CAS Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy Casebook (50 cases; included in module III): each participant has to prepare and submit a book containing 50 case descriptions. These then are asssessed by the Virtopsy team.
The casebook is usually the last step in completing the studies necessary to obtain a CAS in Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy. This does not have to be completed on-site – usually, participants make their casebooks at home or where they usually work.
- The Virtopsy Courses (modules I and II) also contains a special focus on Forensic Anthropology, as this field has taken up forensic post mortem imaging across commingled remains, mummy research and mass disaster events. Particularly for forensic radiologists, this new area of examination and research is very relevant from our medicolegal viewpoint. We also include other new or relevant subject matter to present to the course participants as technology and research are evolving.
- The 3D surface documentation session is an addition that is regarded as particularly relevant because of a recent rise in surface documentation also in forensic science where crime scenes and scenes of traffic accidents are increasingly documented in full 3D. An introductory lecture is provided in module I, and a full day of practical instruction is performed as part of module 3.
- Post mortem CT angiography is now taught and practically expanded on the Virtopsy Practical course. Participants will also receive a full PMCTA kit (pump, power supply, materials, tubings, etc.) complimentary with the practical course.
Possiblities of visual case documentation
|Modules||Virtopsy Basic Course (I)||Virtopsy Advanced Course (II)||Virtopsy Practical Course and Casebook (III)|
|Participants||max. 24||max. 24||max. 12|
|Requirements||attendance of this module,
|attendance and passing of prior module,
attendance of this module,
|attendance and passing of prior modules, writing/assembling casebook, pass assignments, pass requirements, complete a casebook of 50 cases|
Certificate of Attendance
Certificate of Attendance
Certificate of Attendance (practical course complete)
Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy by the University of Zurich, Switzerland (once all modules including casebook are complete)
|Cost||1000 CHF||1500 CHF||5500 CHF|
|Program and registration||details further down on this page||details further down on this page||follow the instructions there|
Upcoming courses, program and registration
Regarding registration, please note:
- To maintain quality standards, we will not accept more than 24 registrants for each the basic and advanced modules of the course.
- Please note that your registration can be confirmed only upon receipt of payment.