Virtopsy is actively involved in teaching and training. You will be learning directly from the pioneers.
Virtopsy Courses provide theoretical and practical knowledge of and at least some initial practical skills in forensic imaging, notably post-mortem CT and MR, forensic anthropoloy, post-mortem angiography, surface scanning and 3D-photogrammetry, robot-guided biopsy, and clinical forensic imaging.
There is a Basic Course (2 days) and, immediately following, the Advanced Course (3 days) and a Practical Course (3,5 days). Starting from 2018, with the introduction of a CAS (Certificate of Advanced Studies) in Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy, we will offer the following four parts that build up towards the Certificate of Advanced Studies in Forensic Imaging and Virtopsy:
- Virtopsy Basic Course (CAS Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy part I – theory). The course attendants will receive a Certificate of Attendance once they provided full attendance of the lectures of this course. Maximally allowed participants are 24. One ECTS point is awarded. We regularly apply for CME credits as well.
- Virtopsy Advanced Course (CAS Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy part II – theory) (part I is a requirement, this is only for those that did the Virtopsy Basic Course in the past). The course attendants will receive a Certificate of Attendance once they show previous attendance of part I, and once they provided full attendance of the lectures of this course. Maximally allowed participants are 24. One ECTS point is awarded. We regularly apply for CME credits as well.
Since 2017, there is a new course part that complete the steps towards the CAS certificate: (details see here). They constitute the parts required to attain a CAS in Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy.
- Virtopsy Practical Course (CAS Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy part III) (part I and II are a requirement, this is only for those that did the Virtopsy Basic and Advanced Courses in the past); in addition to attendance of the course, assignments and tests need to be passed. The course attendants will receive a Certificate of Attendance once they provided full attendance of the lectures of this course and passed attendance and tests; prior attendance of the previous parts is a must. Maximally allowed participants are 12. Four ECTS point is awarded. We will apply this course for CME credits as well. The course is on-site here at the Zurich Institute of Forensic Medicine.
CAS Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy Casebook (50 cases; included in part III): each participant has to prepare and submit a book containing 50 case descriptions. These then are asssessed by the Virtopsy team. The casebook is usually the last step in completing the studies necessary to obtain a CAS in Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy. This part does not have to be completed on-site – usually, participants make their casebooks at home or where they usually work.
- The Virtopsy Courses (parts I and II) also contains a special focus on Forensic Anthropology, as this field has taken up forensic post mortem imaging across commingled remains, mummy research and mass disaster events. Particularly for forensic radiologists, this new area of examination and research is very relevant from our medicolegal viewpoint. We also include other new or relevant subject matter to present to the course participants as technology and research are evolving.
- The 3D surface documentation session is an addition that is regarded as particularly relevant because of a recent rise in surface documentation also in forensic science where crime scenes and scenes of traffic accidents are increasingly documented in full 3D.
- Post mortem CT angiography is now taught and practically expanded on the Virtopsy Practical course. Participants will also receive a full PMCTA kit (pump, power supply, materials, tubings, etc.) complimentary with the practical course.
|Part||Virtopsy Basic Course (I)||Virtopsy Advanced Course (II)||Virtopsy Practical Course and Casebook (III)|
|Participants||max. 24||max. 24||max. 12|
|Requirements||attendance of this part||attendance of prior and this part||attendance and passing of prior part, writing/assembling casebook, pass assignments, pass requirements, complete a casebook of 50 cases|
Certificate of Attendance
Certificate of Attendance
Certificate of Attendance (practical course complete)
Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy by the University of Zurich, Switzerland (once all parts including casebook are complete)
|Cost||1000 CHF||1500 CHF||5500 CHF|
|Program and registration||details further down on this page||details further down on this page||follow the instructions there|
Virtopsy Courses and the CAS are aimed at all persons who are professionally interested or actively involved in forensic radiology and imaging also containing interest in forensic anthropology, including forensic pathologists/medical examiners, radiologists, coroners, radiographers/radiology technicians, surveying specialists and anthropologist.
Upcoming courses, program and registration
|15th: March 19-23, 2018
Virtopsy Basic + Advanced Course (CAS Forensic Imaging & Virtopsy partsI and II) in Zurich, Switzerland, including a special focus on Forensic Anthropology and 3D surface documentation.
16th: March 18th to 28th, 2019
- To maintain quality standards, we will not accept more than 24 registrants for each the basic and advanced part of the course.
- Please note that your registration can be confirmed only upon receipt of payment.